CALALLEN

THE RURAL NUECES COUNTY SETTLEMENT OF CALALLEN WAS ESTABLISHED BY THE CALVIN TOWNSITE COMPANY ON AUGUST 18, 1910. THE PRESIDENT Of THE FIRM WAS THE PROMINENT CATTLEMAN CALVIN J. ALLEN (1859-1922), FOR WHOM THE TOWN WAS NAMED. THE AREAíS ABUNDANT WATER SUPPLY AND THE SETTLEMENTíS LOCATION ON THE ST. LOUIS, BROWNSVILLE AND MEXICO RAIL LINE RESULTED IN CALALLENíS DEVELOPMENT AS AN IMPORTANT AGRICULTURAL CENTER OF THE REGION.

CALALLENíS GREATEST PERIOD OF GROWTH OCCURRED FROM THE 1920ís TO THE 1940ís. DURING THAT TIME IT WAS THE SITE OF A HOTEL, FUNERAL HOME, LUMBERYARD, POST OFFICE, DOCTORíS OFFICE, BANK, CHURCHES, A VARIETY OF STORES AND A SCHOOL DISTRICT, FORMED IN 1914. MAJOR EMPLOYERS HERE INCLUDED A CORPUS CHRISTI WATER PLANT AND THE VEGETABLE PACKING FIRM OF C.E. COLEMAN. RESIDENTS OF THE COMMUNITY INCLUDED SOME OF THE PROMINENT CATTLEMEN AND BUSINESS LEADERS OF SOUTH TEXAS.

CALALLENíS DECLINE BEGAN AS NEW ROADS RESULTED IN DRAMATIC GROWTH FOR CORPUS CHRISTI. ALTHOUGH THE CALALLEN SCHOOL REMAINED IN OPERATION, THE RURAL TOWN WAS ANNEXED BY CORPUS CHRISTI IN 1970. TODAY THE.AREA SERVES AS A REMINDER OF THE EARLY RESIDENTS WHO WERE VITAL TO THE GROWTH OF NUECES COUNTY.
(1982)